Many of your foot, lower leg, hip and back issues start from a foot and ankle problem. Maybe you have been told you have flat feet, a bunion, heel spurs, or some other foot dysfunction. You have probably done all the calf stretches, foot exercises and purchased proper shoes. Sometimes that does the trick; sometimes it doesn’t.
The reality is, that if your foot function is problematic, it can be like building a house on quicksand. i.e., an unstable base. Not all foot dysfunctions need an orthotic. Not everyone needs orthotics. Many people don’t, and sadly they have been blindly recommended to everyone with a foot.
However, according to Painscience.com and The Cochrane Review, there are common conditions that orthotics have the most potential to help:
- Pes Planus (Flat Foot)
- Painful Pes Cavus (High Arch)
- Plantar Fasciitis, a common painful inflammation of the sole of the foot, most easily recognized by its tendency to cause pain first thing in the morning
- Arthritis, which often affects joints of the foot
- Diabetes, which interferes with circulation in the feet, requiring custom shoe modifications or custom-built footwear
- Metatarsalgia, a painful foot disorder that affects the bones and joints at the ball of the foot
For many years we have been reluctant to offer orthotics due to lack of a reputable resource and manufacturer. The best professional to design and make custom orthotics are Certified Pedorthists. Certified Pedorthists must have a relevant degree, spend at least two years in apprenticeship, and then pass demanding exams. That period of work experience is devoted to the lower limb and the ankle and foot in particular.
We have finally found one, and we are excited about his expertise and unique process. We will be able to do the exam, mold, and communicate with Dr. David Wedemeyer for each custom orthotic patient.
Our exam process includes:
- Full foot, ankle and lower leg exam
- Video Gait (Walking) Analysis
- Images of your foot and ankle
- Foam Casting of your feet
All of the above will all then be sent out to Dr. Wedemeyer for assessment and custom orthotic production. He will design the orthotic and ship back to us within 2-3 weeks.
We believe we now have a comprehensive solution for our patients that present with significant foot dysfunction that is causing their over-use injury. We added the video analysis of walking a few months ago, and this was the final piece of the puzzle to help our patients with foot/ankle related conditions.
If you are having foot, ankle or lower leg issues, and you want us to guide you down the path of pain relief, and long-term prevention call us and set up your comprehensive evaluation at our office.